Friday, January 18, 2013

Twisted Yarns

I had the great pleasure of going to Twisted Yarns in Spring, TX this morning. I'm in the Houston area this weekend for the express purpose of hand delivering Christmas presents to my nieces, so while here I thought I'd go check out this lovely yarn shop again.

A few months ago I had the chance to go to Twisted Yarns and found an utterly wonderful shop! The staff are amazingly friendly and helpful. It's a very welcoming shop and one of the owners, Shelley Green, told me that was the goal: a welcoming shop where people feel comfortable to drop in and knit. Several days of the week groups of knitters come to sit, chat, and knit. When Twisted Yarns opened nearly nine years ago, these knitting groups started with KALs (knit-alongs), friendships formed, the projects ended, and the groups continued to meet. When I was in the shop a few months ago, I said, "I'd move to Houston just for Twisted Yarns."

They have an incredible selection of yummy and delectable yarns - madelinetosh, Noro, Prism, Rowan, Bah! - just to name a few. When I asked what the staff likes to teach, I got a range of answers: fair-isle, socks, to new knitters.  

On my first trip to the shop I encountered a sample of Cloud Cowl. It was the perfect excuse to pick up a skein of Rowan Striped Kidsilk Haze and the finished project is so soft and cloud-like.  Today I needed a little bit of help...I ran out of yarn for the lace shawl I've been working on.  UGH! As I wrote the other day, I couldn't remember what yarn I bought. Shelley inspected my shawl, walked away, and came back with Pediboo...and it all came back to me.

I bought Pediboo at my LYS a few months ago and grabbed it when my son started to get a little crazy. All the other sock yarns I looked at had 440+ yards, but Pediboo only has 255 yards. doh! Important lesson learned: don't buy yarn without double checking yardage. Seems like a basic idea, but melting down three year olds can make you do silly things! The lovely ladies at Twisted Yarns helped me to find a new yarn for the Skywalker Shawl: Delicato by Prism and to figure out how to save my current shawl...which will be more like a scarf.

If you happen to be in or near Houston, then you've got to check out Twisted Yarns! 

No comments:

Post a Comment