Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Fashionista Duvet

Last week I was in Houston to deliver some Christmas presents. This is the Fashionista Duvet and Pillow set I made for my niece. She has been working on creating a Paris themed bedroom. We searched and searched for Paris fabrics, but then we found the Fashionista collection by SPX. She picked one fabric from the April in Paris collection to make it explicitly French.

Fabric: Fashionista by SPX (click here to see the collection)
            French Words Natural from April in Paris collection by Timeless Treasures


I used the "Surf's Up" pattern from Simple Style: Easy Weekend Quilts to run along the top and bottom of the central panel. I wanted a simple block pattern to show off the lovely fabrics. I forgot to take a picture of the other side of the duvet (whoops!); it's Eiffel Tower fabric (by Timeless Treasures) outlined with a 2" strip of leopard print.

Close up of a block pattern





Here are the pillowcases. I used the basic pattern from America Patchwork and Quilting 1 Million Pillowcase Challenge.

The big challenge for this project was being 600 miles away from my niece. We did the best we could by utilizing FaceTime, Skype, and Dropbox to share ideas and progress. Thankfully, my niece (and sister-in-law) were thrilled with the final results! Now my sis-in-law is talking about complimentary curtains, more duvets, pillowcases, and curtains...I think it's time she learned to sew.



No comments:

Post a Comment